Botox Step by Step Guide Following Treatment
1. Try to exercise your treated muscles for 1-2 hours after treatment
Practice frowning, raising your eyebrows or squinting after receiving Botox or Dysport. This helps to work Botulinum Toxin into your muscles. Although this is thought to help, it will NOT impact your treatment negatively if you forget to do this.
2. Do NOT rub or massage the treated areas for 4 hours after your treatment.
Do NOT do strenuous exercise for 4 hours after treatment. Also, avoid facials or saunas for 4 hours after your treatment. This will minimize the risk of raising your blood pressure and reduce the risk of temporary bruising. Feel free to shower and go about most other regular daily activities.
3. Do NOT lie down for 4 hours after treatment.
This is to avoid the risk of pressure on the treated areas (from your pillow) and to avoid the risk of having the area rubbed accidentally.
4. Be assured that tiny bumps or marks will disappear within a few hours for most people.
For some people, it may take a day. If you need to apply make-up within 4 hours after treatment wait at least 30 minutes and only use a GENTLE touch to avoid rubbing the treated area. After 4 hours feel free to apply your regular make-up routine.
5. Results of your cosmetic treatment may take up to 14 days to take full effect.
Please wait until the 14 days have passed before assessing if you are pleased with the result. TMD or jaw treatment may take up to 4 weeks to evaluate the therapeutic outcome.
Sometimes people will notice one area of the muscle smoothing out, and another nearby not relaxing at the same time making an area of the face look slightly irregular. This is normal and will smooth out nicely over the course of 1-3 days.
6. After your first treatment Dr. Sidhu will need to see you for a 2-week follow-up assessment appointment.
This will ensure Dr. Sidhu can see how YOUR facial muscles reacted to your treatment. If you require more product to fine-tune/adjust your treatment results, it will be applied during this appointment at an additional cost. Also, your results will be photographed and documented in your confidential patient file for medical reasons.
7. Botulinum Toxin is a temporary procedure
At first, you may find that your treatment results will last approximately 3-4 months. However, if you maintain your treatment appointments with the frequency recommended by Dr. Sidhu, each treatment result may last longer than 4 months.
8. Initially, we like to see patients between 3 to 4 months to create the best clinical results
If you allow Botulinum Toxin to wear off completely, it is difficult for Dr. Sidhu to be able to see how your muscles react and therefore, optimal results for your face can be more challenging to achieve.
Who should not get Botox Treatment
- Pregnant or breastfeeding mothers
- Those with a diagnosed neuromuscular disease including myasthenia gravis, Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS) or Lambert-Eaton Syndrome
- Patients with drooping eyelids, Botox will not droop eyelids further, but the sensation can feel very heavy in these areas
- Anyone with weak facial muscles
Potential Botox Side Effects
- Flu or flu-like symptoms
- Eyebrows that droop - for 1-4 weeks
- Neck pain
- Indigestion and upset stomach
- Eye irritation or inflammation
While the vast majority of patient do not feel any of the above side effects it's important to be aware of potential minor complications